Thursday, September 27, 2007

No. 16 - Wikis

I really liked the SJCPL Subject Guide. I think this could replace our Research Databases and Web Resources option on the BCPL home page. Since they basically use the same headings, we could combine them using a Wiki. I think it would make more sense to the customers and be a one-stop shop for them. Think of all the information we could easily organize.
I also liked the Book Lovers Wiki. This would be a great opportunity to have staff and customer feedback on books. It could replace the Recommended Reading bookmarks and would involve no printing. It would also create a community. I think this would work especially well with younger kids. At Randallstown, the Friends Group asks kids to write book reviews. It makes more sense to have them write them on the computer because then it seems less tedious and can be shared with more people.
I guess the only catch is that someone has to monitor wikis for incorrect information and inappropriate comments.

No comments: